Rota do Românico No. 1
Saint Mary of Pombeiros was one of the most important Benedictine monasteries of the region between Douro and Minho. Founded by Sir Gomes Echiegues and his wife Gontroda in 1102, it originated in an ancient religious community.
The main gate is a remarkable example of Romanesque sculpture. The magnificiently executed capitals represent some of the best sculpture works in the region. In the cloisters, the archaeological findings associated to a former bell foundry deserve a special note.
- Name: Monastery of St. Mary of Pombeiros
- Typology: Church/Monastery
- Classification: National Monastery from 1910
- Location: Place the monastery, the parish of Pombeiro Ribavizela, Felgueiras, Oporto, Portugal
- Style: Late Romanesque with Gothic influence
- Conservation Status: Good
- Feast of the Patron Saint: Santa Maria Maggiore - August the 5th
- Time of Worship: Saturday at 19h (winter) and 20.30 (summer), Sunday and Holydays at 10:30, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:30 and Fridays at 20h
- Time of Visit: By appointment
- Price of Admission: Free
- For explanation on Portuguese please visit official site of Romans ways:
· Web: www.rotadoromanico.com
· E-Mail: email@example.com
· Telephone: 255 810 706 / 918 116 488
· Fax: 255 810 709
- How to Get There:
If approaching from the north of Portugal through the A28 (Road / Oporto), the A3 (Valença / Oporto) or A7 (Vila Pouca de Aguiar/Póvoa de Varzim), follow directions to Felgueiras A11 (Esposende /Marco de Canaveses). Exit on Felgueiras West and then follow the directions RRVS up to this National Monument.
From the Oporto may go for A4/IP4 (Vila Real) or A41/A42 (Paços de Ferreira) that will lead to the A11. In this way the exit node Felgueiras (N207), then follow the signs to RRVS.
If you are already in the city of Felgueiras, follow the direction of Guimarães across the road N101 (Amarante / Valença).
- Geographic Coordinates: Lat: 41 ° 22 '58,091 "N / Long: 8 ° 13' 32,597" W
- More photos on: