Friday, October 16, 2009
St. Mary of Airaes Church
Rota do Românico No.4
Igreja de Santa Maria de Airães
The Church of Santa Mary of Airães is an important example of the rather long influence of the Romanesque buliding pattern in the Sousa Valley, dating back to the late 13th century even through it has been mentioned since 1091.
Despite the fact that it has three naves, only the transpet and the central part of the main facade remain from the Romansque construction, originally with a single nave.
- Name: St. Mary of Airaes Church
- Type: Church / Monastery
- Classification: National Monument (NM) by Decree 129/77 of 29 September
- County: Felgueiras
- Style: Romanesque
- State of Conservation: Good
- Festival patron: Santa Maria de - August 15
- Time of Worship: Saturday at 18.45 in winter and at 19.45 in the summer, Sunday at 11am, Friday 3 to 8:30; 5 Friday 18.30.
- Time of Visit: By appointment
- Price of Admission: Free
- For explanation on Portuguese please visit official site of Romans ways:
Phone: 255 810 706 / 918 116 488
Fax: 255 810 709
- Location: Place the monastery, the parish of Santa Maria de, Felgueiras, Oporto, Portugal.
- How to get there:
If approaching from the north of Portugal for A28 (Road / Oporto), the A3 (Valença /Oporto) or the A7 (Vila Nova De Aguiar / Oporto), follow directions to Felgueiras A11 (Esposende / Oporto). Exit on Felgueiras (N207) and Longra across the road N207-2. Shortly after, turn left for Caíde de Rei.
If coming from downtown or south of the country by the A1 (Lisbon-Oporto) or the A29 (Estarreja / VN Gaia) in Oporto between crossing the river Douro through the bridge of the Ash.
From the Oporto may go for A4/IP4 (Vila Real) or A41/A42 (Oporto) that will lead to the A11 (Felgueiras). If you choose the A41/A42, exit of Felgueiras (N207) on A11 and head towards Longra and after Caíde de Rei, AA4 If you choose exit onof Caíde de Rei of the A11 and take the N15 road (Ermesinde / Murça) for the Lixa. Finally, follow the signs to RRVS (ignoring the diversion to the Torre de Vilar) to the Church of Vila Verdeque shortly after, will take him to Airães.
If you are already in the city of Felgueiras follow the direction of the road de Lixa N101 (Valença /Amarante).
- Geographic Coordinates: Lat: 41 ° 18 '54,421 "N / Long: 8 ° 11' 52.88" W
- More photos on: